Are you traveling to Disney’s Hollywood Studios soon to check out the newest ride at Star Wars Galaxy’s Edge, Rise of the Resistance? I was just at Disney World this past week and getting a boarding pass for this ride was more important to me than actually running the Princess Half Marathon I had trained for over the last four months (not joking!). We only had one opportunity to try for it. Before I get into the details of obtaining the boarding pass, I want to reiterate that this ride is flat out AMAZING and so worth the trouble. There is no other experience at the parks that is quite as immersive and dynamic as this one. I was (and am) a huge fan of Star Wars Smuggler’s Run, but this one even puts that ride to shame. Do ANYTHING you can to get that pass!
Before we got to Hollywood Studios, I read a few other blogs to get information on how to get the pass beyond the official Disney version of: open your my Disney Experience app at park opening, click Find Out More, Join Boarding Group, add your travel party, and click submit. With anything Disney planning related, there is always a more savvy, strategic way to go about it, you just have to know what it is.
My traveling group used a combination of the techniques we read about and a little of our own intuition. We were successful in getting Boarding Group #42. This boarding group got us on the ride at about 10:45-11:00 am with an 8:00 am park opening. Make sure you allow plenty of time to get into Hollywood Studios so that you can all be in the park to get the pass. Everyone in your party has to be physically present in the park no later than the park opening time; in our case 8:00 am.
We caught an Uber from the Caribbean Beach Resort between 7:00 am- 7:10 am and we had about 10 minutes to spare before 8:00 am when we were in our decided spot at Animation Courtyard in Hollywood Studios. This timing was a little later than I wanted which made me incredibly nervous. Even though we called our Uber at about 6:50 am, it took forever to arrive despite saying it was three minutes away. We also then had to wait for our turn through the parking gates. I’d try to be in an Uber at 6:45 am for an 8:00 am opening if I were to do it again or take a hotel bus to Hollywood Studios (we were unaware they even had those anymore to Hollywood Studios from the Caribbean Beach Resort since the Skyliner opened). The Skyliner opened 30 minutes before park opening and we thought that wouldn’t be enough time.
Here were the other keys:
- Find an open space (not in line for Smuggler’s Run or Slinky Dog Dash) where you’re not next to 500 other people. We chose the Animation Courtyard near the Star Wars Launch Bay.
- Have all the members of your party attempt to get the pass. Only one person will succeed in your group and the others will get an error that they already have a boarding pass.
- I heard the newest iPhone has the best chance to get the pass because it has a quicker processor. I have an iPhone 11, one friend had an iPhone 10, and the other an iPhone 8. I am on AT&T and they are on Verizon. We put the iPhone 8 on Disney wi-fi and left the 11 and 10 on cell signal. The iPhone 11 on AT&T won.
- Time how long it takes to launch the MyDisney Experience App on your phone. It took my iPhone 11 three seconds. We had my Apple watch on a face with a digital second hand and launched the My Disney Experience App with three seconds to spare before 8:00 am.
- At park opening time run through the “official” directions from the My Disney Experience App and poof you will find out if you got a regular boarding group, backup boarding group, or nothing (tears).
- One important note is that you can’t have the app open and “refresh” it by switching between screens. You have to have it completely closed and then launch it at the park opening time. It helps your phone work faster to also have any other app closed, so be sure to shut down ALL apps a few minutes prior and then stay off your phone until your launch time.
- Make sure to use a cell phone clock to track park opening time and not a personal watch set to the time manually.
We were so excited to make it on Rise of the Resistance. It sounds like a crazy hassle to get the pass but it was so worth it. I hope these tips help you get one of your own. May the force be with you…